Monday, August 20, 2018

Olympic National Park Day 9

Day 9:  Olympic NP, Hurricane Ridge Trail

This morning, after filling up on blueberry pancake (which I made) and real maple syrup, we set out for Hurricane Ridge.  It was a 15-min drive to the park entrance, then another 30 minutes up to the trail head for Hurricane Ridge.  When we got out of the car, I realized my cell phone was missing!  I retraced my steps, drove back to the Hurricane Ridge Visitor’s Center, but no phone.  I was despondent.  On top of that, there was no cell service, so I could use the Find My Phone app.  Jeri and I drove back to the trailhead where we had left the rest of the group, and decied there was nothing more to do but hike (and fume).   
The hike was beautiful, though it was hard for me to really enjoy it.  It was fairly clear with a southerly wind; the smoke from the BC fires was keeping its distance.  As we drove back toward the park exit, we picked up cell service, and Marty started trying my cell.  All of a sudden, the pall that had descended over the car lifted with the familiar ring of my phone.  We stopped, and Toby discovered in a very deep well under the middle seat in the minivan. Marty had to reach down up to his armpit to retrieve it.  I’m not sure how it possibly was not destroyed in opening and closing the middle seat.  One disaster averted!












With a bit more energy and less sullenness (on my part), we decided to do one more hike to see an area along the Elwah River that washed out the road a couple of years ago.  It turned out to be not so exciting, but we did walk off a few more extra calories.
Tonight, we found out that BBQ and Washington should not be said in the same sentence.  Especially after having Texas BBQ, this was way past disappointing.  Maybe more calorie loss tonight (except for the apple pie and ice cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment